Sunday, September 7, 2008

Unforgiven 2008 Wrap-Up

Well, after reading the results on-line and going through pictures on wwe.com, I didn't do too well with my picks, going an abysmal three-for-six, bombing out on the Championship Scramble matches. However, I chose to look at it this way.....if this were baseball, I would be batting .500, which would be Hall-of-Fame worthy.

As for the show, it sounds like another dvd purchase I will have to make once its released, especially for the championship matches. I am ecstatic that Matt Hardy won the ECW Championship, even though I thought Mark Henry would win and even though I picked Kendrick to win, I was hoping Jeff Hardy would win the WWE Championship so both he and Matt would be World Champions on the same night as eluded to by the WWE staff on the "Twist of Fate" dvd released this year.

I do like how WWE took the title off of CM Punk without him actually losing it by having Randy Orton's associates of Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase and the debuting Manu (Afa Jr, son of Wild Samoan Afa) jumped Punk from behind in the back, which allowed Orton to kick Punk in the head, knocking him out of the World Heavyweight Championship match. The same kick that knocked Rob Van Dam out of WWE and put Shawn Michaels on the shelf for a few months.

By doing this, WWE has planted the seeds for a long-term feud with Punk and Orton once Orton returns from his injury. Lastly, I know a lot of the "smarks" are upset they got fooled again and didn't see it coming but having Chris Jericho win the World Heavyweight Championship was a brilliant move, especially since he wasn't originally in the match and was only in the ring for a total of FOUR SECONDS!

With the way Jericho carried his feud with Michaels and transforming his character into a serious persona with those awesome promos, he deserves this run with the title that will hopefully wash-out of people's minds his awful first title run that made him look like Stephanie McMahon's bitch.

It will be interesting to see where WWE goes from here with Jericho as champion and Orton's new stable of multi-generation Superstars.

No comments: