Monday, September 29, 2008

Educating kids on the old school of wrestling

As a life-long wrestling fan, I often cringe when I hear new or young fans say how awesome and great professional wrestling is today. While wrestling today does have its moments and can still put on amazing shows when a specific company chooses to do so, I personally feel that today's product, with the exception of a selected few individual talents, cannot hold a candle to the old-school style of wrestling I grew-up on and find myself feeling sorry for the newer generation of fans who either don't have the time or want to watch classic old-school footage.

However, a rarity occurred today when after school was over this afternoon and I had finished up my duty as a substitute teacher, I found myself engaged with one of the students, an eighth grader, about pro-wrestling as I was writing the classes regular teacher a note.

The student wants to be a pro-wrestler when he grows up and I told him that he would need a good character name as I went through and showed examples of certain wrestlers character name and birth name. The student then asked me what Sting's real name was, to which I replied, "Steve Borden."

The student then informed me that Sting was his favorite wrestler and I began reeling him in. Having just gone on a nostalgia WCW visit over the weekend on youtube where I watched countless classic WCW clips, I asked the student if he had access to a computer, which he said yes. I then asked if he would like to see some classic clips of Sting when he was younger so he could see how amazing he was in his prime.

The student's face lit-up like it was Christmas morning and I promptly wrote down several titles to type into youtube for search results. Now whether the student will actually look the clips up remains to be seen but this did make my day knowing I may have gotten a new generation fan to become an old-school fan if and after he sees those classic Sting clips.

No comments: