Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sonny Siaki sacrifices career for his brother's life

Photobucket
Photo courtesy of gerweck.net

The other day, I saw a report on PWInsider.com that had the headline "Sonny Siaki announces retirement." I thought it was odd that Siaki, who is only 34-years old, was retiring from professional wrestling at a young age. However, nothing could have prepared me for what I proceeded to read and here are the exact words of Mr. Siaki from his myspace page:

"The last ten years, I've seen, heard, watched, and learned a lot about myself and the wrestling business. Being a professional wrestler has been one of my dreams since I was a kid. I've had some of the worse and the absolute best times of my life in wrestling. Being in the wrestling business is the hardest job in the world. You have to be mentally, emotionally, and physically strong to be accepted into it. The creative team and agents in WWE and TNA have been in the business for years, and they've seen it all. Opportunities are not given - you got to take what they give you and find a way to turn it into money.

The question you have to ask yourself is: How can I make Vince money?, or How can I make Jeff money? For me; Did I ever make it in pro wrestling? My opinion: No... Was it my fault? Yes, because the first seven years of my career, I didn't get it. I wanted to do what was best for me, not for the match. In the locker room, I was known for being arrogant, cocky, conceited, etc. I took advantage of being called a pro wrestler. I was VERY selfish... These last three years, the wrestling business became a learning experience.

Well unfortunately, two years ago while still with WWE, I received some bad news from home. My brother Bernard who's only 35 yrs old, was diagnosed with Renal Kidney Failure. The functioning capability of his one kidney has decreased from 35% to 10%. Bernard seeks dialysis three days a week for 15 hours and lives on a strict diet. Everyday he perseveres with pain, discomfort and more fatigue than one person can usually endure. Bernard works full time just trying to pay his medical bills and on-going medications. We are in the process of providing a kidney transplant at a very high cost for BERNARD SIAKI by raising awareness, fundraisers, and getting people like you involved. A tender-hearted man, a gregarious friend, a beloved man. He's the type of person who cares more about other people then himself.

I've decided to be the Kidney Donor for my brother which means that the doctor says I can no longer wrestle. From 1998 to 2008, I was under contract with WCW, TNA, and WWE, and want to thank each organizations for giving me the opportunity to live one my dreams. It was a privilege and an honor to work with some of the best talents in the world. To all the boys with WWE, TNA, ROH , the talent in developmental, all Indy workers, and the divas - I know what you put your bodies through, and from the bottom of my heart, I wish you the best. If you believe in faith, please pray for me and Bernard as we get our surgeries that will potentially save my brother's life. To all wrestling fans, thank you for your support of pro wrestling. PLEASE HELP US SAVE MY BROTHER'S LIFE at www.savebernardsiaki.org.
"

After reading that entry, I have nothing but loads of respect for Mr. Siaki to make a decision like that.

I would hope that most people in his situation would do the same thing, especially if it were a family member, such as what former National Basketball Association (NBA) player Carlos Rogers attempted to do for his sister, Rene, by offering to donate his kidney as she was diagnosed with kidney failure in 1988.

However, Rene declined the offer so Carlos could achieve his dream of playing in the NBA. As a result, Rene waited for another done and received a cadaver kidney, which failed and Rene passed away on Jan 24, 1997, three-years after Carlos had been drafted into the league.

I know a lot of fans (and even wrestlers such as Jerry Lynn, who said in an interview one time that TNA ruined the X-Division when they made Siaki the champion) weren't high on Siaki's in-ring work or ring-personality but it is bittersweet to hear Siaki is retiring after not hitting it big in TNA or making the WWE main-roster during his tenures in each company.

However, unlike most wrestlers who blame everyone they can think of when they don't achieve the success they think they should have, Siaki stood up like a MAN and said that his career short-comings were a direct result of HIMSELF and his attitude, not anything else.

That right there, in addition to his sacrifice, made me respect Siaki to the highest degree and view him as a great MAN. I wish Siaki the best and hope that his brother pulls through and is able to live a long and healthy life.

No comments: