Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Update on M.O.P. lawsuit against John Cena & WWE

Photobucket
Photo courtesy of starpulse.com

Earlier today, TMZ.com post an article that updated the current lawsuit brought against both World Wrestling Entertainment [WWE] and John Cena [pictured above] by the Royalty Network Inc, more specifically, Jamal Grinnage and Eric Murray, better known as Lil' Fame and Billy Danze of M.O.P. [Mash Out Posse].

According to the report, both Mr. Grinnage and Murray want Cena and WWE to cease and desist in their use of Cena's theme song, "My Time is Now" [which you can sample below] due to their claim the song heavily borrows material from their hit "Ante Up" [which you can sample below] and that WWE's lawyers found some person to sign off on the license who was only a receptionist and didn't have the authority to do so.

The focal point of musical contention is one non-English line, "BRRR Abado," that appears in the original song once and in Cena's song three times. The suit asks for the destruction of Cena's theme song, all DVD's with the song pulled off shelves and $150,000 fro the defendants. Cena and WWE have yet to comment.

After reading this article, I decided to go to youtube and see what exactly Mr. Grinnage and Murray are upset about and after discovering the lyric in question, I nearly fell out of my chair because other than that line, THE SONGS SOUND NOTHING ALIKE! Don't believe me, listen for yourself:

"Ante Up" by M.O.P.


"My Time is Now" by John Cena


Right there is the proof. Even if you don't like Cena, you have to admit that the two songs, with the exception of the beginning lyric, sound NOTHING ALIKE, especially when you consider Cena wrote his song by himself!

Personally, I feel this is just another case of some lackluster, never-will-be-anything stars trying to get some free money and press at the expense of others. It's a sad reality but that's how the world works today....washed up people suing for whatever they think will get them money. Either get some real talent or do us all a favor and fade into obscurity.

I said this in my last blog about this subject and I'll say it again....these gentlemen [and I use that term loosely] were so upset with the secretary signing off on the permission to use the lyric and with Cena and WWE for using it in their song that they waited a whole THREE-AND-A-HALF YEARS to file suit and are only asking for $150,000? Hogwash.

Lastly, I am surprised no one has pointed out this interesting tidbit...for those who own the WWE CD "Raw Greatest Hits: 15th Anniverary Edition" that came out in Dec. 2007, if you look inside the CD booklet, WWE actually "credited" M.O.P.'s song "Ante Up" and thanked them for the use of it.

So please explain this to me like I'm a five-year old when considering the last fact.......Why exactly are M.O.P. suing them again?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I listened to the tracks side by side it's hard to say its not very petty to sue someone over "a tounge roll and one word". And it'd not even M.O.P. doing the suing, it's there manager. I believe in compensating someone for using their stuff but thats crazy.