Saturday, December 13, 2008

"Taking Flight" by WWE Diva Mickie James

Photobucket
Photo courtesy of wikipedia.com


Earlier today, over at the WWE Universe fan site, I read a poem that WWE Diva Mickie James [pictured above] posted on her official page, entitled "Taking Flight," which, at times, comes off a bit cryptic:


I reach out. As far as my arms will let me. There is nothing here. Just me. Here I find serenity.

The wind whips through my hair... Between my fingers... Ruffles my
feathers... It blows against my face. So fast, so hard... Almost
brings a tear to my eye... Almost

The warmth of the sun dances across the bridge of my nose onto my
cheeks. They become rosy with delight. Bringing back sweet memories
of my childhood.

Life was so easy then. So innocent & new. I had not a care in the
world. No reservations... No worries... More importantly... No Fear!

Alas... Those days are far too gone. And once again, I find myself
back in this place. I've been here before.

Much too young when I first took flight. Yet still I soar. All
my life... As far back as I can remember. I have been flying.. A
constant search for something true. Something real.

I've desperately tried so hard to fly high. As high as I can. Up.
Through the storm clouds. Higher. Out of sight of all my enemies. So
many predators...

But then... after too long... I start to descend. Just enough to
get a closer look. That's when I usually let my curiosity get the
best of me. Not this time!

I have fallen hard from this place before. I've been shot down,
captured, caged, & tortured. All for someone else's amusement.

Yet somehow... Each time... I have still been able to find my way
back to freedom.

Freedom. We long for it. Freedom. We fight so hard for it. We die
for this beauty we call freedom.

I have licked my wounds. I am strong now. Stronger than ever
before. I am wise now. Wiser than ever before.

I only take with me that which I need. My heart, my soul, my
knowledge, ... my pride.

I go where the wind blows. Makes no difference to me. However,
this time it feels quite different than ever before.

The air is much thicker. Harder to breathe. I am safe, but oddly
enough, it's not the same serenity as I had always found.

It makes me wonder... Why do I fly anyway? Is it truly for
freedom? Or is it simply out of fear? And whilst I soar... Am I really
just missing out on it all?

In this constant battle within myself. Searching for a flicker of
light in this vast darkness... An angel amongst the demons.

If nothing else. I've realized one real thing. Life is beautiful!
Its meant to be embraced & truly lived! To the fullest!

I cant do that way up here. I must fight hard... Love harder...
Live life through childlike eyes. No Fear! Never settling for anything
less than what I deserve.

Its so hard though. In reality I am petrified! And... I'm safe
here. The view is amazing. But does that even matter when I'm the only
one to see it.

Besides... I am so tired of flying. My wings ache... No one truly
knows how I long to land. I cant.. No! I won't let them... But its all
I've ever really wanted.

This time I need to be smart. I will be smart! This time I won't
just slip and fall. This time... I, and I alone, chose when I land.
Where I land.

This time... I will not land in a trap. Only to be put on display
as if I were a trophy piece.

I will not land in quicksand! Where I might sink into the pits of
broken promises.

Not even on a rock! As they are far to cold, hard, and rigid.

This time when I land, it will be on solid ground. On the plush
grass where I can feel it all.. One foot at a time. In my own personal
heaven.

To feel the earth between my toes... To tuck these wings away...
Once and for all... To be free... To be me...

That my friend would be true freedom... True happiness... Isn't
that in fact, all any of us want.


After reading that, two thoughts come to mind. The first thought is that Mickie is trying to tell the fans that she is burnt out from the schedule and wants to take a break, but like most wrestlers, doesn't want to lose her spot.

It's not that far fetched when one considers that since Trish Stratus retired in the fall of 2006, Mickie has been the company's most popular Diva and the focal point of the women's division on Raw. As pointed out though, if Mickie takes a break, she could lose her spot as fellow Diva Melina is now a fan-favorite and up-and-coming Kelly Kelly is gaining new found popularity after each improved outing in the ring.

My other thought as to the meaning of this poem is that Mickie is tired of being a trophy girlfriend and not being able to have a long lasting, serious-relationship as a result of always being on the road, which is the price one pays for being a professional wrestler.

A lot of fans may not know this but nearly all the relationships Mickie has had have been with fellow wrestlers and at one time, was engaged to recently released WWE Superstar Kenny Dykstra. I would think Mickie is looking for something like Trish has, a long-relationship [15-years] with her boyfriend before getting married two-years ago and perhaps, would like to start a family at some point.

Maybe I'm way off and the poem has another meaning. The only person who can answer that question is Mickie herself. But I think I can say one thing for sure...she has been taking creative writing lessons from fellow WWE Superstar Jeff Hardy.

No comments: